Reece & I have a new obsession with all things pesto. It started when we babysat for a close friend. Her darling 3 year old is hooked on the stuff. After sharing a few bowls of pesto soaked pasta with her, we found ourselves with a new addiction as well. Our fridge currently has a surplus of various jars of pesto at any given time. This is another easy-as-pie pasta recipe that is super good for you, but also super tasty. I'm also proud to say, the basil I used in this recipe came from our own little veggie patch.
I will warn you, if you're not a fan of crunchy/raw broccoli, this may not be for you. I prefer it raw and very rarely cook it until it is soft.
Spelt Pasta with Broccoli & Basil Pesto
1 cup spelt or wholemeal pasta
1 head of Broccoli
2 handfuls fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons pine nuts
1.5 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon dulse flakes (I used Eden Organics sea vegetable flakes)
Rice bran oil spray
2 teaspoons garlic paste
1/2 cup olive oil
Chilli salt (to taste)
1. Make pesto. A great pesto recipes can be found here.
2. Bring pasta to boil (add salt to flavour). Pre-heat over to 180 degrees.
3. Chop broccoli into small florets. Arrange in baking dish and spray lightly with rice bran oil.
4. Sprinkle nutritional yeast, chilli salt, 1 tablespoon pine nuts and dulse flakes over broccoli. Toss with clean hands.
5. Bake Broccoli in oven for 15 minutes or until florets begin to turn lightly golden on the tips.
6. Drain cooked pasta. Remove broccoli from oven & allow to stand for 5 minutes.
7. Combine pasta, pesto and broccoli while still warm. Toss & serve warm, topped with grated parmesan cheese.