Reece is in the middle of his university exams at the moment & I've decided to bake him a cake for each exam he finishes. He had his first exam on Saturday, so I made a chocolate and orange cake using some of the orange infused olive oil we picked up from Providore on our honeymoon.
I'm using olive oil in all of my caked from this day forward, it turned out amazing and so moist!
2 Cups White Sugar
1.5 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1.5 tab sp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
100 ml Blood Orange Olive Oil
2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
165 ml Milk
165 ml boiling water
1 Thin Block Dark Lindtt Chocolate
Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Grease a 23cm spring form cake pan.
2. Sift to combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder & salt in bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine oil, vanilla essence, egg and milk.
4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined. Add boiling water and mix until a smooth batter is created.
5. Pour into cake tin and bake for 60 -75 minutes.
6. While cake is baking, slice thin orange slices and de-pip a pomegranate for topping.
7. Remove when cooked & allow to stand and cool before icing.
8. Apply a thin layer of betty crocker icing mix with rubber spatular.
9. Randomly break up block of dark chocolate with hands to form angular and irregular shapes.
10. Lodge orange slices in icing and use chunks of dark chocolate to keep it standing up. Scatter smaller pieces of broken chocolate deck on top of cake with pomegranate seeds.
The next 'post exam' cake I plan to tackle is a sugar-free coconut cream sponge cake, so keep your eyes peeled for that in an upcoming edition of Meal Prep Monday!